Modeling tips! (from a photographer’s point of view)
I believe that I have the best job in the world. Fashion photography is not only my work, but also a passion that I couldn’t see myself living without. Shooting and being on set in a studio or on location is like a playground to me. I am having the most fun when I am working with a team of really creative and passionate people! That includes, of course, models. They are an essential part of fashion photography – without them, fashion shoots would be extremely boring!
I often work with models who are just starting out or have little experience to build their portfolio. Many of them ask me to give them directions and what poses to do in front of the camera. I usually tell them that I am going to suggest some poses, but that it is very important that they come up with their own. And, like anything else, practice is the only way to get better. Here are few rules that I think all models should follow.
1. Study model poses in magazines.
2. Practice in front of the mirror, and see what works best for you and your features.
3. Know your facial expression well. It’s very important when you are asked to recreate certain emotions.
4. OWN the camera. Don’t be afraid of it, show your confidence!
5. Be creative and don’t be afraid to try something new!
6. Show your own unique personality.
7. Remember that you are not only a model, but also an artist telling a story with your face and body. Get in the character.
8. Have a positive and professional attitude. Believe me, it goes a long way!